
Just got power back about 1 hour ago. Yeah, It sucks. The tree branches look like they are dipped in ice, Its really cool! We (My Mum,Dad,Sister and Her Fiancée) All sat in our back family room by the fire. I was wearing a tank top and sweat pants, Everyone else was Boots, Winter Coats, Gloves, (Etc). Trust Me, I wasnt complaining! Ive been also writing a story, Ill post it here. right....now.
i picked out my favorite record from the bookshelf i put them all in. Dad promised to make me a proper place, but he didnt get around to it. The record i chose was elvis presley. Man oh man! I loved elvis, no one would ever top him. My younger sister Betty was all about the new "fab four". They were called the beatles, These boys came from Liverpool england. People back in the u.s. heard them even before they came here, not the Meadow household. We didnt hear about them until betty heard something at school. we were 6 years apart, so we went to the same building. Mum and Dad havent heard them yet, i listened to them on my radio i got as a 15th birthday gift. Having a 17 and a 11 year old in the house with one radio wasnt what i planned. Yet, Mum and myself made a plan. Whoever has a certain time they would like to listen has to ask her, I would decide if they got to hear it. To mom and dad i would have to say yes. Most of the time i let betty listen, but she couldnt be safe. sOMETIMES IF I TOLD HER NO...WELL, LETS SAY SHE COULD LISTEN TO IT FOR A WHOLE WEEK WITHOUT ASKING ME.
i fell down on my bed watching the needle go around playing jailhouse rock. "nANCY? You okay?" Betty was standing in my doorway picking at her nails, this means something is wrong. "YEah, Im fine. everything alright hun?" She walked and sat down next to me. But even before she could say anything to me, mom called us down for dinner. I raced betty down the stairs laughing crazylike, "Ill beat you! No! Ill get there first!"
By the time we both got down, betty winning, Mom was already sitting down at the dinner table. We both looked at eachother then sat down on oppisite sides. Tonight we ate breaded fish and some corn, Mom knew i hated meat...fish more. "So Nancy eLANIE, How was school today." Dad always asked us a barrell-load of questions at dinner. I told him it was fine, besides the fact in english we had a 10 page essay to write. Mom never talked during dinner. She prayed before every meal and then ate it very slowly. Betty and Me only talked to dad because mom would be mad if we said any more.
45 minutes later i was helping mother with the last few dishes. dad was watching the ed sullivan show, This young group was on. They wernt the beatles...that was for sure. He seemed to dislike their wild attitude, but to me;i loved it! Betty called me back upstairs just a bit later. I passed my room, carefully taking off my elvis record and putting it with the rest. Then i walked more down the upper hall to her room. "Nancy. I got a big problem." Her face was a little twisted and full or fear. She told me She was getting c's and d's on all her tests, plus at school people teased her from her name to the way she wore her hair. Why? Betty had no answer. "They just started teasing me one day, i couldnt do anything. I told miss amber then she asked the class, or anyone she caught teasing me, to stop. but i just want to be like everyone else Nancy!" My little sister felt terrible, being like a mother to her i tried to help.
We tried new hairstyles and then asked mom if she really needed her glasses. She said "not really, but for reading. Yes!" I gave betty a makeover that night. Put on some makeup and did her brown hair a favor. She thanked me and went to show mom. I followed behind to see her smiling. EVen more shocking is that mom liked it! Dad didnt really care, but that was a man for you. Just then, We all got together and watched the last 10 minutes of the ed sullivan show as a family. This new group was called the rascals, sure seemed like it. Kinda seemed like our family though, we were all different from each other. Dad was always working and very reserved, Mom was the same but didnt work (sometimes she did volenteer). Betty was a typical 11 year old,much into being "mature" but into whatever was big. Me, i was intrigued by music. It was my life! All together...you wouldnt think we were all a family.
That night after everyone went to bed, i pulled out my little journal i wrote in. mostly when i was at work or having a terrible day. But today was different, I was overly happy for some odd reason. Betty said it was beatlemania taking its toll on me, Maybe it was. Mom gave me all rights to move for my job. If that would get me more into the "buzz" of the music industry, i might just do that. Working at seventeen magizine was good, they paided well. I only worked there in the summer because it was a terrible hour drive. Mum and Dad would let me book a motel for some time while i stayed and worked. They really wanted to stay there, Seventeen loved me. Tomorrow Morning i am going to ask mom if i can move to new york, Sure i'd be very far from little michigan. its my dream to get into a high position for seventeen! I ended up just putting my journal away, then singing myself quietly to sleep with she loves you.
"BETTY! NANCY! NO SCHOOL! ROADS TOO BAD!" MOM was a short stubby thing but had a voice that could cross the states! I heard betty let out a 'yes' so i stretched out of bed into her room. "Nancy?! what are you doing up so early...its only. Oh." It was 11 'o' clock sharp. Why did mom just now say no school, I wonder. She was probably downstairs already cooking lunch for everyone. Me and Betty just sat on her bed, in our pajamas, and the sun shining in on our faces. "wEll, Lets get around then. better late than never!" She walked into her small closet and i then ran to my room. Today i would be inside all day because mom wouldnt let us out in this weather. I picked out a yellow skirt, my favorite one, and a loose white blouse. My blonde hair was whipped up into a ponytail that flared out just like the posh girls. then i topped it off with a leather braclet i wore everywhere, betty got it for me last year. "GIRLS!!! LUNCH TIME!" we both rushed down the stairs knowing mom would be mad if we wernt there right away.
Betty beat me down, she always does. For lunch was classic sandwichs, My favorite. We all sat down, mom said grace, betty kicked me under the table then snorted. this was going to be good. "Hey Mom...Dad. Ive got something to say." they both looked at me, dad over his glasses. "I want to move to New York. You both know Seventeen is my jumpstart to the world! I could someday be working for Vouge or interviewing the monkees! Please let me go!?" Mom smiled, I knew she would say yes. Dad rolled his eyes and betty was jumping up and down in her seat. "okay, im letting you go...Friday. Have all your stuff packed and youll have to fly by yourself and such. me and betty will take you to detroit, i hope i dont regret this." A smile spread across my face, immediantly i shot up and called cARRIE FROM SEVENTEEN TO TELL HER THE NEWS. mATTER OF FACT, I DIDNT EVEN FINISH MY FAVORITE LUNCH.
"see you friday Hun!" I put the phone back on its holder then once again got up to pick a record. Elivs...again. The needle was placed on hound dog, one of my favorites. Today was tuesday, 3 more days until i got to NY. I know this was way out of even imagining, but what if i got to interview someone from ED SULLIVAN? Beatlemania was taking over almost every teenage girl, it might be possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment